I have been asked time and time again for a green smoothie recipe. So here it is!! You ask and I shall deliver! I am super excited about this one as I have made it so its very simple to make and cost effective. I then listed a few ways you can amp it up depending on what you feel you need, so make sure you scroll to the bottom :-).
Why a Green Smoothie?
- High in antioxidants
- High in B-Vitamins, such as folate.
- Plenty of magnesium and potassium.
- A good source of calcium
- A reliable source of Iron
- A great supply of fibre
- Low on the Glycemic Index, so wont spike your blood sugar.
- Smoothies are pre-digested making the nutrients easy and quick to assimilate.
- Added lemon will ensure you can absorb the type of iron found in green plants.
- A great way to incorporate a huge amount of fruits and veggies in your diet, all at once!
7-8 cups greens (eg spinach, kale, swiss chard, romaine)
2 celery stalks
1-2 tsp Ergogenics Whole Greens (optional)
Juice of half a lemon
1.5 cups of water or coconut water
Method: Add greens and water into the blender and whizz those first. Then add the rest, blending until smooth. NOTE: I use a 60oz blender, if your blender is small reduce the ingredients, for example just use half.
You can keep it simple, or add some ingredients for an extra nutrient boost:
BOOST YOUR CIRCULATION: 1/8 tsp cayenne & thumb of ginger
BOOST YOUR FIBER: extra stalks of celery OR 1/2 cucumber
BOOST YOUR FATTY ACID INTAKE (great for skin): 1 tsp chia seeds & 1 tsp ground flax seeds/flax oil (Note: When including these two ingredients, ensure you have pre-soaked them in a 1:9 ratio of seeds to water)
BOOST YOUR ANTIOXIDANTS: 1/2 orange (including the white peel) & extra greens
NOTE: For every 1/2 a piece of fruit added, add an extra handful of greens to keep the ratios the same